Schedule Change, Elective Change and Teacher Request Policies
MMS Schedule Change, Elective Change, and Teacher Request Policies
Schedule changes will only be made for students who are in an incorrect class. This may be an elective class change, a change in the level of an academic class, or if a student is missing a required class or has a class duplicated. Schedule changes will not be made for students requesting a period change, nor will schedule changes be made for students or parents who are requesting a teacher change.
If a student or parent has specific and current concerns about a particular teacher:
- The teacher should be contacted directly by the student and/or parent, the concerns should be discussed and a mutually agreed upon resolution should be attempted.
- If a resolution cannot be reached, or the problem continues, the student’s Vice Principal should be contacted (Mrs. Moffatt for students with last names A-L; Mr. Olds for students with last names M-Z).
- If the VP is unable to facilitate a resolution, or the problem continues, the issue will be referred to the Principal.
The following policy will be used when students request a change of an elective class during the school year.
Requests to transfer to a new elective will only be accepted during the FIRST WEEK of the school year:
A student may request to change his/her elective class during the first week of school by completing the “Course Request Inquiry” form on the MMS website. The counselor may approve the transfer to any elective class where an opening exists, as long as the student has met any prerequisites required for the class and the change will not greatly impact their current schedule. In addition, all waitlist changes will take place through the first week of school only.
There will be NO elective class changes for the remainder of the school year.
Requests to have (or not to have) specific teachers will not be taken or considered.
All teachers, counselors, and administrators are in agreement and will be following this policy. The only exceptions to the above policy are:
- A student (not a sibling or a friend) has personally had that teacher previously and is requesting to not have that teacher again.
- A student has the same teacher for 2 different subjects, and is requesting to change one of them to a different teacher
NOTE: All teacher changes under this policy must be requested within the first week of the school year.